Cheese & Broccoli Soup

This is the Marion way of making my Mom's cheese and Broccoli soup. I will mention all the additional items, that we omit.

Simmer 10 minutes, or until tender, then drain.
2 C water
2 C. peeled, diced potatoes
1/4 C onion
1 tsp salt and dash of pepper

Make white sauce: {I double all these ingredients and add extra potatoes & broccoli}
Melt 1/4 C butter, 1/4 C flour and make a rue.  Add 2 C milk on medium heat until it starts to thicken.  Add 8oz of Cheese Whiz.  Stir, but don't let boil.  Add drained vegetables, mix together and simmer.

My mom adds:
1/2 C carrots, chopped
1/2 C celery, chopped
1 C cauliflower

I would add these, except I'd be afraid my kids wouldn't touch it.  If it's not broke, don't fix it?!

Here is my Panera recipe that I've modified...

1 T melted butter
1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 C. melted butter
1/4 C. flour
2 C. half & half
2 C. chicken stock
1/2 lb. broccoli
2 C. potatoes, cubed
1 C. carrots, julienned
1/4 tsp. nutmeg- optional
8 oz. grated sharp cheddar
salt & pepper

Saute onion in butter for 3-5 minutes, then add flour for another few minutes.  Add half & half, chicken stock, and cut up potatoes, simmer 20 minutes.  Add broccoli, carrots, and onions.  Simmer for additional 25 minutes, or until veggies are tender.  Add salt, pepper, and cheese, and stir in nutmeg, if using. Let cheese melt and serve, 

Comments

Popular Posts