Three Cheese Broccoli Turnovers

OK, I've been bad at posting. I wanted to give the blog a face lift over the Christmas break, but who was I kidding? It never slows down, and I just need to except that fact. I wish I could blog a recipe each day, but more important things come first. I will share a recipe when I can.

Here is something I love. My Mom has a recipe similar to this with spinach (which I love, but my kids might die) and it's always just so yummy. The flavors are just so amazing. I made it this week and decided to do a little revision to the assembling process. I have made this many times, making each their individual triangle, but wanted it to go quicker. I layered it like you would a lasagna. I first started with a little cooking spray in the bottom of the pan. Then I layered 8 or so phyllo sheets to begin. I did spray olive oil after each one, like the original recipe. (Note, I have spread olive oil between each layer with a brush, and then also used spray-which seems to go a little faster) Then I spread the cheese/broccoli mixture, then repeated the layers, ending with the cheese mixture. It turned out the same, just not as pretty when you cut the phyllo dough. I cooked it the same amount of time.

When you read the recipe, I don't have a clue what the difference between broccoli and broccolini are. I'm sure it's just a fancy, more expensive broccoli? Who knows, but my regular broccoli tastes great. I also use shredded mozzarella, since that's what I have. I have a sweet son who requests this recipe now and then. Love it!

Three-Cheese Broccolini Turnovers

* 2 bunches Broccolini, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 1 cup ricotta cheese
* 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
* 1 large egg
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 pound unsalted mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
* 16 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
* 1 cup store-bought marinara sauce, warmed

1.Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Broccolini and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the ricotta, parmesan, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Fold in the Broccolini and mozzarella.
3.Lay 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface and brush with olive oil. Repeat with 3 more sheets. Halve the phyllo stack lengthwise. Spoon 3/4 cup Broccolini mixture onto 1 stack, near a short end. Fold the right corner diagonally over the filling to make a triangle; continue folding diagonally until you reach the other end. Place the turnover on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling to make 8 turnovers.
4.Bake the turnovers until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with the marinara sauce.


Comments

  1. Drooling over this! Broccolini is more delicate and sweet, but in something like this the flavor would be overcome anyway by all the cheeses and sauces which make it so delicious. Armenian women make their own dough which is a cross between filo and puff pastry, and it is fabulous, but I haven't mastered it, and probably never will. Add this to the list of things to bring to the airport!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow -- this looks great -- great photography skills, Diane! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. must make this, looks easy and delicious! Do your kids realize how lucky they are to have you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for dinner last night and it was even more amazing than I could have guessed it would be. The flavor is perfect and the texture is so interesting. The phyllo dough is just right! Diane, what would I do without you? Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts