General Tso's Chicken

We love this chicken at our favorite Chinese restaurant.  I found this recipe and everyone loves it just as much, or more than the restaurant.  The first time it was a mess, but I've figured out some helpful tricks to make it easy.

1/4 c. cornstarch
1 lb. snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
3 T light brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 lg egg whites
course salt and ground pepper
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts. cut into 1" pieces
2 T vegetable oil

Cook Rice

In a large bowl, stir together 1 T corn starch and 1/2 C cold water until smooth.  Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 T cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Add chicken and toss to coat.

Heat 1 T oil {I do this on my electric griddle. It works so much better, trust me}  and cook until golden & chicken is cooked, about 8 minutes.  Add snow pea mixture to skillet.  {I put this in a large wok style pan at this point} Cover; cook until peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3-5 minutes.  Add chicken, and serve over rice.

Sometime I double the sauce, because I like extra sauce. I've also made this with other vegetables as well.


Comments

Popular Posts