Crustless Ham & Spinach Quiche


I found this recipe in the June 2008 Cooking Light magazine. I've modified it a little. I made this the first time for our tennis brunch. It doesn't call for salt or any type of spices {besides pepper} so the second time I made it, I added salt and Jane's crazy mixed up salt. My oldest son tried it the first time and said I should make it again! {It has spinach in it!} I think I may also try it sometime with asparagus in small pieces. I liked it a lot better the second time, but I like salt & spices.

3/4 cup cubed ham
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper

3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided {You could also use pepper jack, which is always amazing}
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Jane's
{If you don't use Jane's, I would use 1 tsp. salt}
1/4 cup shredded {reduced fat} cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder


-Preheat oven to 350*.
-Heat large non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham, onion and pepper to pan; saute 4 minutes or until ham is lightly browned.
-Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese in a 9" pie plate coated with cooking spray. Top with ham mixture.
-Combine remaining 1/2 cup Swiss {or pepper jack}cheese, spinach, and next 7 ingredients (through egg whites) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk
-Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour egg mixture over ham. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. *8 servings

Comments

Popular Posts