Green Chile

Hi!  My name is Ryan and Diane has so graciously asked me to share a recipe with you all.  I love Diane and I LOVE her cooking.  Last week, I was able to enjoy her Chi Chi's Chimichangas.  They were melt-in-your-mouth fantastic!  She served it with fresh cut fruit and this green chile that I made.  

To be honest, I can't really tell you how this chile tastes.  I was so blown away by the chimichangas that I really didn't take the time to rate the green chile fully.  But I will say that it did complement the meal and everyone has been asking me for the recipe since.  My husband said it's better than any restaurant.  True story.  
But, I can't take all the credit, my friend sent it to me through a recipe exchange.  I did make a few changes to make it my own.   Thanks for taking a look, I hope you enjoy!


Lorenz's Roasted Green Chile

-Ingredients for Boil-
-2 Cups Green Chiles (Roasted Preferably- Hatch's chilies even better)
-2 Cups Chicken Broth
-3 Cups Water
-1 LB Pork Shoulder- bone-in preferred (Cut into 1 inch cubes)
* I used thin cut pork loin chops because they are lean and easy
-1 Cup Diced White Onion
-1 1/2 Cup Diced Fresh Tomatillos 
-3 Garlic Cloves (Fresh peeled preferred and smashed flat with knife)
-teaspoon cumin, paprika
-dash of pepper, cayenne, oregano
-tablespoon of salt
*I added a heaping spoonful of diced jalapenos plus the liquid from a can.

-Ingredients for Garnish-
-2 Cups shredded cheddar and jack cheese mixture
-1/2 Cup minced cilantro
-1 Cup Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche

-Thickener- (Optional) Use only if chile is too runny for your liking.
-1 Teaspoon of Corn Starch
-1/4 Cup water
-Directions-

Combine all ingredients for chile in large stock pot or crock pot, except onions and pork. Sear pork in hot oiled pan till all pieces are browned. Take pork from pan and throw into pot. Take onions and throw into the same pan with fat from the browned pork. Cook onions till soft and translucent. Throw onions into pot. Heat pot with all ingredients till they boil then lower heat till there is a nice low simmer. Cook for 3 hours minimum. Cook for up to 10 hours if time allows.

When ready to eat take half of the contents and blend in food processor. Return to pot and salt to your liking. (Fine without being blended if you don't have food processor.)

If you want a thicker chile make a corn starch slurry by whisking the corn starch with water. Then add to the the pot slowly until it is completely absorbed into the chile.

Finish each bowl of chile with as much garnish cheese, sour cream, and cilantro as you would like.

Thanks for having me Diane and letting me share this recipe!  Happy Eating!  XOXO

Comments

  1. Delicious! This was the PERFECT addition to the chimichangas. I love a good green chili and THIS was a Fabulous recipe! Thanks so much Ryan!! *****

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this again and this time I can say, wow! It was soul-satisfying and I craved it every moment of the day when it was in my home. Unfortunately, my sweet baby does not feel the same. Note to nursing mothers, you may want to avoid this temptation altogether! So good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts