Stuffed Squash

Last night Mark had the TV on and left. I turned to food network and Alton Brown was making this stuffed squash. It looked good, so tonight we had it. It's very earthy, grainy tasting, but I liked it. I ended up scooping out the squash and mixing it in with the meat and rice mixture. I suppose the idea is to scoop out as you go. I also knew my family wouldn't be thrilled with the squash, so I only bought two and then with the remaining mixture, I just put a little butter at the bottom of a pie plate and put it on the oven for about half of the time. The kids (minus two) ate it all gone. I wouldn't make it every week like Taco's, but I would definitely make it again. I felt like I was eating healthy and it was filling.

I omitted the white wine & didn't substitute anything. Any suggestions? Apple Juice? I also only had fresh spinach, so I chopped it pretty fine and it was great.

* 4 small acorn squash, 1 to 1 1/4 pounds each
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
* 1/2 pound ground pork
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup chopped celery
* 1/4 cup chopped carrot
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
* 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, completely thawed, drained and chopped
* 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
* Generous pinch kosher salt
* Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut 1-inch off the top of each acorn squash and scoop out the seeds. If necessary in order for the squash to sit upright, cut off a small portion of the bottom. Put 1 of the 4 pieces of butter in the cavity of each squash. Set squash on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large saute pan over medium heat, brown the ground pork until no longer pink. Remove the meat from the pan, add the olive oil and saute the onion, celery, and carrot until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the white wine.

Return the pork to the pan along with the cooked rice, spinach, pine nuts, oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Stirring constantly, heat mixture thoroughly, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Divide the mixture evenly among the squash, top each squash with its lid and bake for 1 hour or until the squash is tender. Serve immediately.


Comments

  1. OK Di...We are only 14 months apart and I've never been to this blog...didn't really know it existed...I was just surfing your links...anyway! How fun! I didn't know GGpa had an Avocado farm. I did know you were a foodie and brave enough to try a lot of new things. I'm so lazy but I want to try new recipes SOME DAY. Hopefully I can follow in my little sis's footsteps when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts