Butternut Squash Soup


This is the Food Network picture of Butternut Squash soup in a pumpkin. Looks a lot thicker than my picture.

I've had Butternut Squash soup in restaurants before, but have never made it-until now. I used a simple recipe and was worried that it wouldn't have enough flavor, but it did. Everyone like it, except my one. (If you didn't know, I have one picky eater) Actually, I don't think Abby was fond of it, but everyone else did. I had one child say, "You can make this again, just not too soon" I could eat it once a week. It was REALLY good, and I think good for you. My family did comment that it could use some "chunks" of potato or something. They weren't accustomed to the smooth texture. We are not tomato soup eaters. We had grilled pesto sandwiches to go with the soup (just in case it was a flop)

Butternut Squash Soup

1-(2-3lb) butternut squash-peeled and seeded
2 T butter
1 med onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper

Cut squash into 1" chunks. In a large pot melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender. Puree. (May need to do in batches). Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Another recipe I found had these additions, which I didn't try.

1 tsp. minced fresh ginger (Love fresh Ginger!)
1/2 cup heavy cream (Love but the thighs hate)
white pepper ( I did add a little)

You can also use these toppings:
croutons, paprika, chili powder, crisp prosciutto, bacon, ham, fried onions(I think those french fried onions), Pepitas (hulled green pumpkin seeds).


Comments

  1. Looks yummy! I love the step by step photos! I don't know how you have time for all of this...I haven't even posted on my regular blog forever! You're so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love that you try so many new recipes. Your family is so lucky to sample all of your new fares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can do the same thing with zucchini and it makes a creamy soup that's nothing but nutritious, like this one. (except for the toppings that can kill you) Pumpkin and squash are so good for you but yummy when you do what you're doing. good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts